Surprise...it depends.  If you're looking for something to monitor and
graph things like bandwidth, cpu and memory for a couple hundred targets
so MRTG is perfect.  Since it is Perl based MRTG is available for most
platforms.

If you also want to monitor up/down status, Windows/Unix/Netware servers
and do alerting then something like Servers
Alive(http://www.woodstone.nu) is great.  It's free for up to 10 targets
and the top end version is $179.00USD.  This only runs on Windows.
Nagios is a great alternative for *nix.

-Kevin