When you type "show version", you should see a configuration register value.  Normal
setting for this value is 0x2102.  Changing bit 6 of the 16 bit register will cause
the router to ignore the contents of NVRAM.  Since the router bypasses your startup
configuration file, it prompts you for new settings.

You can change your configuration register by using the "config-register" global
configuration command.  Type "config-register <value>".

  -- Leigh Anne