If the router and the switch are the only devices connected, say by a cross
over cable, I would first make the assumption that the crossover cable is at
fault. Next, I believe all of the 10Mb router interfaces are half-duplex, so
I would ensure the switch port is set to half-duplex and 10Mb (don't let the
switch auto configure the connection)

Last.... the only time I have personally seen this was when the network had
multiple subnets configured with workstations at 100Mb, and the router had
to route between them. This was during an IP address conversion that wasn't
quite completed. (Servers were left on one subnet while workstation were on
another.)

Workstations would negotiate a 100Mb, full duplex connection... then try to
talk to a server (same broadcast domain, different subnet) at 100Mb
full-duplex.  The bottleneck was the router at 10Mb half-duplex.

Ed Moss
CCNP, CCDP, CNE