Ah yes, classful addressing.  Blast from the past...

  I am assuming you are aware of the classes of IP addresses, and how a
class A address has a first octet of 1-127, etc..

Well, what IP Classless means is that the router *does not* assume that an
IP address with a first octet of 1-126 is a /8 address, 128-191 a /16
address, 192-223 a /24 address and so forth.

Sound a bit archaic?  Hmm...  So are IGRP and RIP.  ; )

Your question is kind of tough to answer directly, since you do not need to
use IP Classless unless you need to break, say a 10.x.x.x network into /24
subnets.  If you don't include IP Classless, the router will assume the mask
is instead /8 and things will get weird...

HTH,

Casey