>From the mouth of Cisco:

Dialer Profiles

The Dialer Profiles implementation of DDR is based on
a separation between logical and physical interface
configuration. Dialer Profiles also allows the logical
and physical configurations to be bound together
dynamically on a per-call basis.

Dialer Profiles is advantageous when you want to share
an interface (ISDN, asynchronous, or synchronous
serial) to place or receive calls, when you want to
change any configuration on a per-user basis (except
encapsulation in the first phase of Dialer Profiles),
when you want to bridge to many destinations, and for
avoiding split horizon problem.

Most routed protocols are supported; however, Frame
Relay, ISO CLNS, and LAPB are not supported.

If you decide to configure Dialer Profiles, you must
disable validation of source addresses for the routed
protocols you support.

For detailed Dialer Profiles information, see the
"Configuring Peer-to-Peer DDR with Dialer Profiles"
chapter.

Legacy DDR

Legacy DDR is powerful and comprehensive, but its
limitations affect scaling and extensibility. Legacy
DDR is based on a static binding between the
per-destination call specification and the physical
interface configuration.

However, Legacy DDR also has many strengths. It
supports Frame Relay, ISO CLNS, LAPB, snapshot
routing, and all routed protocols that are supported
on
Cisco routers. By default, Legacy DDR supports fast
switching.

For information about simple Legacy DDR spoke
configurations, see the "Configuring Legacy DDR
Spokes" chapter. For information about simple Legacy
DDR hub configurations, see the "Configuring Legacy
DDR Hubs" chapter.

William Swedberg CCNP CCDP

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios120/12cgcr/dial_