Michael,

I would like to put in my 0.02.
I am currently using DSL.  I got it about 18 months ago.  I could not get a
static IP.  The DSLM I am on is not setup for it.
You should think about who can give you a static IP that will never change.
One day you will want to connect your lab with other people's.  (Chuck is
always looking for people to play with ;-) Without a static, it will be
hard.  I had trying to setup a VPN to my work lab and looks like I will have
to check the IP every 2 days (that's how long the DHCP is for).

Albert

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> thanks to all who responded...I will take all into
> consideration and do some more research before making a decision
> (especially the firewall device)
> what I had planned was to go from cable modem or dsl to
> back to back routers via T1 modules then to a hub
> for a home setup....
> I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something too obvious.
>
> -michael

Firewall,
> > (did I say I love mine!!!) then the FW negotiates with the cable/dsl on
> the
> > WAN side and you use 192.168.x.x on the inside and then the 25xx address
> > stays the same, no muss - no fuss.
> >
> > So it depends on just where your question is going.
> >
> > Kevin Wigle
> > CCDP/CCNP..............

Cable

> > > modems are great...  I get 2 Megs most of the time & discourage my
> > > neighbors from joining as often as I get a chance to :-)  Cable modem
> > > systems are a little strange.  My Comcast system is fiber (digital)
> to a
> > >
> > > sidewalk box (in my neighborhood), analog into house, then it hits the
> > > cable modem & converts back to digital.  So for me & a lot of other
> > people,
> > > a router is only something you can add after the cable modem (& not
> in
> > > place of).  The best bang for the buck, is a Cisco 3000 (3101) dual
> > > Ethernet router.  They run about $250 on Ebay & for another "approx."
> $200
> > >
> > > (is what it has cost me to upgrade my 3000's) you can add new boot
ROM's,