Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 20:55 -0400 (EDT)
From: Circusnuts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED],
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Router for play @ home

Hey Mike- there's not a lot you can ever do with just one router.  Cable

modems are great...  I get 2 Megs most of the time & discourage my
neighbors from joining as often as I get a chance to :-)  Cable modem
systems are a little strange.  My Comcast system is fiber (digital) to a

sidewalk box (in my neighborhood), analog into house, then it hits the
cable modem & converts back to digital.  So for me & a lot of other people,
a router is only something you can add after the cable modem (& not in
place of).  The best bang for the buck, is a Cisco 3000 (3101) dual
Ethernet router.  They run about $250 on Ebay & for another "approx." $200

(is what it has cost me to upgrade my 3000's) you can add new boot ROM's,

16 Megs of RAM, 8 Megs of FLASH, & compress (almost any IOS Cisco has out)

onto that 8 Megs of FLASH.  This would allow you to encrypt or tunnel to

another router with VPN IOS, setup a firewall or an access list to take

logs, maybe good with NAT & PAT...

Good Luck !!!
Phil