'e's not dead, 'e's only resting...

I do see an industry trend away from ATM, but it certainly will be
around for quite a while, especially in carrier applications. Not
quite a Norwegian Blue Parrot. Certainly, I wouldn't design a router
that could not handle it.

The immediate large IP provider trend, however, is to MPLS and/or
POS. In the longer term, there is significant interest in IP over
optical networks. While POS is better than ATM in avoiding the cell
tax, PPP could be more efficient. The A and C fields of the PPP
header, for example, are there mostly for historical reasons.

Seen on a T-shirt at the IETF:

    ATM:  A Technological Miracle

    Solving today's problems...tomorrow

Enough digs at ATM. It's certainly a viable solution for some
environments, especially for high-bandwidth WAN connectivity.  Using
ATM rather than multiple DS3/DS1 introduced both better reliability
and lower cost in the Federal Y2K network.  There are a substantial
number of video editing, medical imaging,etc., devices that have
native ATM interfaces.
"What Problem are you trying to solve?"
***send Cisco questions to the list, so all can benefit -- not
directly to me***

Howard C. Berkowitz      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Technical Director, CertificationZone.com
Senior Product Manager, Carrier Packet Solutions, NortelNetworks (for ID only)
   but Cisco stockholder!
"retired" Certified Cisco Systems Instructor (CID) #93005