Anybody who states an exact threshold for a high rate of Ethernet
collisions, without any reference to the network topology, applications,
and measuring method, is speaking without authority. &;-)

I think that the 0.1% that Cisco likes to claim is based on the comparison
of frames output by the router to all collisions seen on the segment. Two
things to keep in mind: 1) This compares just one station's output rate to
the collision rate, and 2) a router generally prefers better performance
than a generic end station.

I once heard Radia Perlman say, "Do you know how to tell when an engineer
is lying? When he or she uses the word 'always'". Be careful of "rules" and
"checklists." Although I have checklists in my book, I hope people read all
the caveats and explanations that go with them.

Priscilla