What's hxhk staff?? Just wondering. (Or would I be better off not knowing
what it stands for? &;-)

You make some good points about planning and design, and the fact that
people tend to blame vendors instead of their own lack of planning. On the
other hand, there's nothing wrong with starting with a guide. If the guide
is good, it will recommend that the reader analyze bandwidth requirements
for applications, etc.

The Designing Switched LAN Internetworks white paper has some pretty good
VLAN information:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/idg4/nd2012.htm

In some ways I hate recommending this white paper because it's what started
all the misinformation about AppleTalk broadcasting which has spread to
many books, but as long as you ignore just about everything this paper says
about AppleTalk, the rest of it is quite good.

Priscilla