From: Jared Carter [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 20, 2000 6:06 PM
To: Groupstudy
Subject: VLAN design

Group-

When implementing new VLANs, I like to use some sort of logic when assigning
the numbers.  For example, if a customer was assigning one VLAN per wiring
closet, and the customer has 4 floors, and one closet on each floor, I would
use VLANs 11, 21, 31 and 41.  The first digit in the number represents the
floor, and the second digit represents the closet number.  If there were
multiple closets on a floor, I would use 42 and 43, etc.

This leaves VLANs 32-40 unassigned.  Is there any problem with this?  I
cannot see one, but I thought I would check.

This wouldn't really work if they were implementing VLANs to group users
based on common job function for example, and I understand that.

Thanks,
Jared