Group-

When implementing new VLANs, I like to use some sort of logic when assigning the numbers.  For example, if a customer was assigning one VLAN per wiring closet, and the customer has 4 floors, and one closet on each floor, I would use VLANs 11, 21, 31 and 41.  The first digit in the number represents the floor, and the second digit represents the closet number.  If there were multiple closets on a floor, I would use 42 and 43, etc.

This leaves VLANs 32-40 unassigned.  Is there any problem with this?  I cannot see one, but I thought I would check.

This wouldn't really work if they were implementing VLANs to group users based on common job function for example, and I understand that.

Thanks,
Jared
  • VLAN... Benny Leong (HTHK - Senior Engineer II - iServices Development, NNSD)
    • ... Lam Hay Tak
      • ... Priscilla Oppenheimer
    • ... Jared Carter
    • ... Casey Fahey