The answer C is word for word out of the cisco press book.
VLAN's never did this and never will.
while still providing
> network-wide
> > shared services and allowing users to use hyperlinks to hop
transparently
> > between servers across enterprise networks
Cisco says that in an enterprise network the server block should be
connected to the core and you would have to route to get to the core.

Duck
Low How Ming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
8p7ma4$2kk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:8p7ma4$2kk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I agree with Bradley that there is no clear correct answer for this
> question, but given that we're looking for the best answer, I would choose
> E.
>
> A:    nothing to do with transport layer
> B:    too ambiguous (not necessary that inter-VLAN routing uses Layer 3
> switching, could use an external router doing software routing)
> C:    does address scalability issues, but nothing to do with Layer 3
> routing protocols for network management VLAN
> D:    VLANs provide redundant access to workgroup??  Most likely no.
> E:    First part is on the nail, second part is extremely vague
>
> Any comments?
>

> ""Bradley J. Wilson"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> 01a501c0179b$83fdec40$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:01a501c0179b$83fdec40$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Looks like a detailed breakdown of this one is in order:
> >
> > VLANs have been designed to _____.
> >
> >   A. address forwarding decisions based on transport layer information
and
> > spanning tree scalability
> >
> > (VLANs have nothing to do with Layer 4, so we can cross this one out.)
> >
> >   B. maximize the amount of traffic switched at Layer 3 and minimize the
> > amount of traffic switched at Layer 2
> >
> > (Design dictates that we want to take the opposite approach, and
besides -
> > VLANs are Layer 2 services, not Layer 3.)
> >
> >   C. address the scalability issues of a flat network topology and the
> > addition of network management through Layer 3 routing protocols
> >
> > (Well, I like the use of the words "scalability" and "flat," but VLANs
> have
> > nothing to do with routing protocols, and routing protocols don't have
> > anything to do with network management!)
> >
> >   D. address redundant access to the workgroup and migration of servers
> > server farms for increased security and management of data resources
> >
> > (Hmmmm...redundancy?  Not sure that's the thrust behind using VLANs...I
> like
> > the security idea, but think design again - that's a Distribution Layer
> > problem, not an Access Layer problem, which is where VLANs live.
Scratch