Yes, it's true, .1Q adds 4 bytes. The TPID and TCI fields look like this:

Tag Protocol Identifier (TPID) 2 bytes
     - fixed value of 0x8100             16 bits
Tag Control Information (TCI)  2 bytes
     - User Prioroty                     3 bits
     - Canonical FFormat Indicator (CFI) 1 bit
     - VLAN Identifier                   12 bits

An Ethernet frame of maximum size (1518 bytes) that gets tagged with .1Q
VLAN info is now 4 bytes too big (1522 bytes). This frame is called a "baby
giant". Switches can handle the frame correctly, but it may also generate an
error statistic. This might not be a big deal unless you have lots of them
and you have certain alarm thresholds set in your management system...

One other thing - ISL will only encapsulate frames that exit the switch on a
trunk port, while .1Q tags get added to all frames (as I recall... somebody
might want to check me on this).

Dale
[=`)

http://profiles.msn.com.