You're right. I wasn't paying attention. Took a closer look at the format
on my source and saw it was mislabeled.

Here goes with the corrected info:

2 octet TPID with a value of 08-00.
2 octet TCI (Tag Control Information) consiting of
     3 bits = user priority
     1 bit = CFI (Canonical Format Indicator)
     12 bits = VID (VLAN Identifier)

if CFI = 1 then there will be an additional 4-32 octets for the Embeded RIF
in the following format:

2 octets length/type field
2 octet RC (Route Control) field consisting of
     3 bit = routing type
     5 bit = length field
     1 bit = direction bit
     6 bit = LF (Largest Frame) field
     1 bit = NCFI (Non-Canonical Format Indicator) - 0=MAC address info is
in non-canonical format, 1=MAC address info is in canonical format.
0-28 octets of route descriptors.

http://www.protocols.com/pbook/lan2.htm#VLAN

Karen E Young
Network Engineer
ELF Technologies, Inc
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    Ole Drews

                    Jensen               To:     "'[EMAIL PROTECTED]'"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
                    <OJensen@mail        "Erick B." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

                    1.rwr.com>           cc:     [EMAIL PROTECTED],
[EMAIL PROTECTED], Ole Drews
                                         Jensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                    09/08/2000           Subject:     RE: 802.1Q or ISL

                    01:59 PM

How can 08-00 be only one byte ???

Ole

 Ole Drews Jensen