yeah very true with Sun had a horrible time till i could discover this..:-)
murali

-----Original Message-----
From: Healis, Jim [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, September 11, 2000 8:54 PM
To: 'Doug Laing'; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: auto-negotiate not reliable

I have seen problems like this with certain NIC cards, in particular my
experience has been poor with 3Com PC Cards.  Also, auto-negotiation seems
to be problematic between Sun machines and Cisco equipment.  The best I can
tell is when both sides are set to "auto" they never are able to decide on
one setting or the other and eventually fail due to the numerous errors on
the interface that accrue while trying to negotiate.
I have always played with the settings on the switch port until I see no
errors.

Jim Healis, CCDP, CCNP
Senior Network Administrator
Virata