>From the following URL:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/473/34.shtml

Pinnacle Synch Failed

Problem: The "Pinnacle Synch Failed" error message is displayed at bootup.

Platform: Catalyst 6000 family switches

The following is an example of the console output you will see when this
error occurs:

 System Power On Diagnostics Complete

 Boot image: bootflash:cat6000-sup.5-4-4.bin

 In Local Test Mode, Synch Failed. Retries: 4

 Local Test Mode encounters Minor hardware problem in Module # 1

 Running System Diagnostics from this Supervisor (Module 1)
 This may take up to 2 minutes....please wait
 Pinnacle Synch Failed. Retries: 4

 Minor hardware problem in Module # 1
 Use 'show test 1' to see results of tests.

 Cisco Systems Console

 Enter password:
The workaround is to power off the switch and then make certain that:

The supervisor engine(s) and all switching modules are firmly seated in the
chassis backplane
The ejector levers on the left and right sides of the modules are fully
engaged (pressed completely against the front panel of the module)
The thumb screws on the left and right sides of the modules are screwed into
the card cage and are tightened hand-tight
After ensuring that all modules are properly engaged in the chassis, power
on the chassis.

If you still see "Pinnacle Synch Failed" messages, there might be a hardware
problem with one of the modules.

Power off the switch and remove all switching modules. Power on the switch
with just the supervisor engine in the chassis. Repeat the process adding
one module at a time until the problem module is identified.

.

Timothy Mark Jones
Network Engineer
Cisco CCNA, CCNP, CCDA, CCDP