If I were to reassign the IP address, I could take your site down.  For some
this could cost $$$.  Anyway, the more you allow anything (including people)
to interact with the outside world (outside of itself) the more verlnerable
it becomes to subversion.  A philosophy, not a hard fact.  A paranoid point
of view says I can count on no one, but myself.  I trust no one, but myself.
So in that way, is DHCP a security risk.

Cisco Secure VPN Client is the software.  ip local pool isn't involved in
assigning  the remote computer an ip address, but rather the ip stays local
and a dynamic NAT translation is built in the PIX for the remote computer.
Basically, the an IP from the pool becomes the tunnel end point.  There's
many reasons you want to do this, but the biggest is port conficts.  If 10
remotes all have shared hard drives and appear as the inside IP address of
the PIX, then how would you attach and mount one of them? all 10 machines
would be using the same port number.   Or, what if there were some protocols
which travel down the tunnel and some that didn't, how would it be decided
which traffic took which path?    What if you had an HR policy that
prohibited the viewing of pornography, the VNP client would force everything
through the tunnel, where your Internet usage could be logged, monitored, or
proxied.  Responces from the porno sites would have to travel back  to the
PIX end then through the tunnel and couldn't come straight to you.

etc. etc. etc.

Rodgers Moore

8qdk8l$ssv$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:8qdk8l$ssv$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...