CDP does not "find fellow devices", it is more like a beacon, periodically
anouncing itself to anyone who would listen.  If you would like to listen,
type in:

show cdp neighbors

If CDP is enabled on other Cisco network devices, you will see something
like:

Capability Codes: R - Router, T - Trans Bridge, B - Source Route Bridge
                       S - Switch, H - Host, I - IGMP, r - Repeater

     Device ID        Local Intrfce     Holdtme    Capability  Platform
Port ID
     069031368(5505a)    Vlan1           131         T B S      WS-C5500
7/1
     069031369(5505b)    Vlan1           131         T B S      WS-C5500
7/2
     069031275(5505c)    Vlan1           131         T B S      WS-C5500
7/3
     069031219(5505d)    Vlan1           131         T B S      WS-C5500
7/4

In the above example, it found a switch.  If it finds a router, and the
interface has an IP address assigned to it and the interface is up, CDP will
indicate the IP address of that interface.  CDP only shows you Cisco devices
that are neighbors, you can't see the entire network....or can you?

You can telnet to the neighboring router, then from that router, enter "sh
cdp nei" and see who is adjacent to *that* router, and telnet to them and do
it over and over until you have mapped the entire network!  But wait, the
downside is it doesn't always work.  ;(

To see CDPs variables enter:  sh cdp

          Global CDP information:
                  Sending CDP packets every 60 seconds
                  Sending a holdtime value of 180 seconds

Even though Cisco calls it a "discovery" protocol, if there is going to be
any discovery, you are going to have to do the work.

HTH.....vlan2