The juniper M20,M40, and M160 are serious routers in the core IP routing
world because they simply outperform the 12000GSR. Although I did not test
them against the latest and greatest GSR, we ran tests with the M40 heads up
against a few older model GSRs. Needless to say, the Juniper is very
impressive. We took a smartbits and started loading up the links up to
OC-48. The M40 handled the load extremely well at wire speed with no packet
loss. The GSR, on the other hand, started dropping packets at about 50% of
that load. Does this mean the performance couldn't be improved on the GSR?
No, not at all. These GSRs were not tuned at all. They were straight out of
the box (so to speak). I think that the bottom line is that we, as
engineers, need to be prepared to work with both products. I like Junos and
love IOS. You will not get fired for recommending either product. I believe
that pricing is competitive for both products as well.

Regards,

David Wolsefer