Dave,
We can test and compare apple with oranges in that
respect. Why?. GSR internal architecture is based on
shared bus/cpu while GSR using distributed, cross-bar
architecture. Therefore, to perform the test fairly
you should load the M-xx with PIC's and the GSR with
8, 12, or 16 lincards and verify the performance.
Also, could you please clarify what type of GSR LC
that you test against?. Cisco has 3 generation of line
cards, their OC48/QOC12-POS is able to forward raw
data throughput up to 4 Mpps, which I don't think
Juniper can accomplish that with fully populated box.

- Ihab

--- David Wolsefer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The juniper M20,M40, and M160 are serious routers in
> the core IP routing
> world because they simply outperform the 12000GSR.
> Although I did not test
> them against the latest and greatest GSR, we ran
> tests with the M40 heads up
> against a few older model GSRs. Needless to say, the
> Juniper is very
> impressive. We took a smartbits and started loading
> up the links up to
> OC-48. The M40 handled the load extremely well at
> wire speed with no packet
> loss. The GSR, on the other hand, started dropping
> packets at about 50% of
> that load. Does this mean the performance couldn't
> be improved on the GSR?
> No, not at all. These GSRs were not tuned at all.
> They were straight out of
> the box (so to speak). I think that the bottom line
> is that we, as
> engineers, need to be prepared to work with both
> products. I like Junos and
> love IOS. You will not get fired for recommending
> either product. I believe
> that pricing is competitive for both products as
> well.
>
> Regards,
>
> David Wolsefer
>
> **NOTE: New CCNA/CCDA List has been formed. For more
> information go to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]