On Mon, 2 Oct 2000, Yee, Jason wrote:

> I am wondering if I could use this clear ip bgp * if I encounter bgp
> flapping due to serial down for a while and then up again . This is because
> my bgp is fully functionally receiving all the routes only after a few hours
> after my serial went down and up again for 2 minutes

Not a good idea.  Every time you do it, the rest of the net sees a
route flap from you.  Too many flaps over a period of time, and others
will "damp" your advertisements, ignoring them for what can be rather
lengthy periods of time.  If you see the session flapping due to serial
line issues on one link, why would you want to clear the entire BGP
routing table?  This will just cause problems with your other sessions.

If you're having line problems with one of your BGP peers that is
causing the session to flap, it's a good idea to admin down the
BGP session with that neighbor until the problem is fixed and the
line is stable.  In router config mode:

(config-router)# neighbor www.xxx.yyy.zzz shutdown

To restore once the line is fixed,

(config-router)# no neighbor www.xxx.yyy.zzz shutdown

This will allow your other BGP sessions to continue unaffected.
Then call telco or whatever you need to do to isolate the serial
line problem without causing route flap and trying to push customer
data over a flaky line.  Turn the session up once you've fixed the
line problem.  If the line is flaky enough so as not to keep a
stable TCP 179 connection, it isn't going to be much good for much
else, so shut it down and get it fixed.

"clear ip bgp *" will flap all sessions on that router, making things
quite unstable for a period, especially if you're a transit provider
or have IBGP sessions going as well, as they'll flap and spike CPU on
your other internal routers.  If you're single homed over a single
link, consider a static default instead of BGP.  Your router and your
upstream will be much happier.

--
Jay Hennigan  -  Network Administration  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  NASDAQ: NETX  -  http://www.netlojix.com/