just recovered from some old archives........

hp

this topics seems to come back periodically. Good that I saved my original
reply from a few months back:

The answer has to do with the IEEE 802.3 standards. There are actually two
models how to calculate a "valid" ethernet network.
Model 1: Simplified model widely known as 5-4-3 rule.
Model 2: Calculation of Roundtrip delay (<576 bit times) and Interframe Gap
shrinkage (50 bit times)

In model 1, there can be 5 segments connected by 4 repeaters, but only 3 can
have stations on them (half duplex mode), the other 2 MUST BE link segments
(full duplex, for instance fiber).

Check out this excellent Website of the Ethernet guru: Charles Spurgeon.

http://www.ots.utexas.edu/ethernet/ethernet.html the entrance to his website

http://www.ots.utexas.edu/ethernet/10quickref/ch7qr_5.html#HEADING4
outlines model 1

http://www.ots.utexas.edu/ethernet/10quickref/ch7qr_6.html#HEADING5 outlines
model 2

For a definite source on Ethernet (besides the IEEE 802.3 specs) I highly
recommend his excellent Ethernet book:
http://www.bellereti.com/ethernet/edg/edg.html
Chapter 13 of this book is online and it talks about .... the 5-4-3 rule !!!

Cheers,

Willy Schoots
Lucent NPS

There is a basic rule of thumb to follow with 10 Mbps Ethernet networks. It
is commonly known as the 5-4-3 rule and represents the following Ethernet
limitations :

 5 4 3
Maximum 5 Segments 4 Repeaters 3 Populated Segments