FRS,

Layer 3 Switching, is not a situation when the CPU isn't involved....That is
Fast Switching, This is actually when routing information is stored in CACHE
memory and it is processed without running as many interrupts to the
CPU.....
And YES L3 switching does have everything to do with L2 frames.....If it
didn't then switches wouldn't be involved....[ Layer 3 Switching ] consists
of
the MLSP Protocol < Muli-Layer Switching Protocol >...What happens is
when you have a < Switch(s) / Router > where the Switches have redundant
connections to one another and you are running Vlans between the Switches,
what do they have to do to get to the other Vlan; they have to go to the
router
for the packe to be routed since our Vlans are on different subnets.....Well
what happens is that your switches build a CACHE entry in their MLS Cache
and from the information that's in the packet that's stripped they see what
port
that it was sent out, and they also have the MAC Addresses of the
Destination /
Source / Port #; just depending on if your running Dst / Src / Port Layer
Switching.....
They then add this to their CACHE entry database and they then switch the
packets from there on.....Also there is a limited time that this information
will
stay in the L3 Cache Database ( 256 seconds ) if I remember correctly.....
Your able to base the switching on Destination / Destination-Source /
Destination-Source-Port so then you would actually be doing L4
Switching.....
HTH.....

JEK