On 9 Oct 2000 17:38:42 -0400, Jin Tam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:Does anyone here peer with Verizon or work for the NOC. These guys are
:telling me that I can't advertise an address block that doesn't belong to
:them. So, what the hell is the point of a BGP session if I can't advertise
:the same address through 2 or more providers. Also, I pointed my advertised
:address at Null0 so that there would be a route in the table. They are
:telling me that all the traffic will be dropped at the router. I had to
:explain to their networking team about the longest match rule. Are these
:guys hiring high school grads for the NOC team?

To whom does the address space that you want them to relay your
advertisement belong?

If it's your own portable CIDR block, they should accommodate you.

If it's non-portable space belonging to your other upstream, I can see
their point, as your other provider is no doubt advertising an aggregate
and you'll see all of your traffic via Verizon in that case due to longest
match, so you can't load-balance inbound anyway.

I haven't dealt with Verizon, but work regularly with BBN/Genuity/GTEI
(which may now be the same thing) and they seem clueful.  Is it AS 1
you're peering with?

--
Jay Hennigan  -  Network Administration  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  NASDAQ: NETX  -  http://www.netlojix.com/