A fellow group-member and I saw this at our place of employment about a year
ago.  Indeed, when running EIGRP in large, highly meshed networks with
variable link rates (1.5Mb/s - 6Mb/s in our case) it is often necessary to
audit your traffic patterns and tweek your EIGRP metrics. (Bandwidth, delay,
reliablity, load, MTU).  We ended up doing as you did, and modified the
delay metric to solve the issue.

.....can't say I know about any bugs...

cheers,

Lance