On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Brian W. wrote:

> imho, balancing on a per packet basis is for managerial types that like to
> see symmetrical graphs.  I beleive you have to disable caching on all the
> affected interfaces to get it, a basically bad idea imho.

not hardly.  If you have just 2 PtP T1's to a remote site for example,
with clients that can source lots of data, you will be wasting alot of
bandwidth without per packet.  You could have one T1 with a session that
is tapping out, and the other t1 is at 50% and nothing can be done about
it.

also, if you have 4 t1's with perpacket on them, you effectivly have 6Mbps
of bandwidth to the site.  With 4 t1's and "per session" or "per
destination" load balacing, you can only hope to source 1.5Mbps at most.

Per-packet is far from a gimmick, hence the hardship people are willing to
go thru for CEF