On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Brian W. wrote:

> I disagree, I know of plenty 2 and 3t1 customers of a former employer that
> pushed aggregate bandwidth in excess of the 1.5megabits you claim.  In

Aggregate bandwidth yes........but no single user on a single session,
like a downlod for example, would ever see more than 1.5Mbps with
per-destination or per-session load-balancing.  What I am saying is that
without per-packet, no "single" session or user can source more than
1.5Mbps.

> those cases, I occasionally got calls from managerial types that wanted
> to see symmetric graphs.  If both circuits are being used, thats good
> enough for me.  Your argument only makes sense if for an individual
> established connection, bandwidth greater than that provided by 1 circuit
> is not enough.

this isn't true.  per-packet is about alot more than pretty graphs.  Its
the difference in maximum speed.  3 T1's in per-session load balancing can
push a total of 1.5MBps x 3, but still only peak at 1.5Mbps for any
session.  I admit its confusing, but take my word for it, per-packet is
the only way to break the single circuit barrier.  Otherwise you have a
"flow" (route-cache flow) or a destination (cef per-destination) which is
cached over a SINGLE t1 circuit........and it will ONLY use that circuit
for the entire flow or destination.

Brian