Here's my 2 cents on this. Young kids / teenagers have
plenty of time to prepare for such a goal. They have
more time to play/study/whatever on equipment, the
internet, etc then us working folks. If I would have
known more about cisco and real networking (not BBS
stuff) back in my teenage days I would have probably
pursued it by 16/17 as well.  I was busy
running/networking BBS systems and FIDOnet style
networks between the ages of 12-20 and all that stuff.

I didn't have a interest in dating, partying,
bars/clubs, etc.

Created our own BBS-network and me and a group of
friends programmed our own FIDO-mailer (similar to
FrontDoor and GEcho). We had a UUCP (Internet and
Usenet news) feed into our BBS-network in the late
1980s/early 90s as well. I made a few BBS doors as
well but thats all behind me now. I lost interest in
all that when I touched a cisco AGS+ at my first real
job then moved on to a networking firm 2 yrs later and
am still there. Job #2 in this version of my life.

I do this all for fun. It's a hobby that pays the
bills and funds the toy collection.

...Erick
CCNP+Security+NetRanger, NNCSE, CCIE attempt 2 soon