Well, turning on portfast would have been my method of troubleshooting
also. The other thought that comes to mind is that maybe the EtherTalk
devices can't hear from their router quickly enough because the switch
ports don't enter forwarding mode soon enough.

An EtherTalk device sends a ZIPGetNetInfo packet to find its router when it
boots. It sends this packet a few times. Perhaps the response takes a long
time, causing the device to think it's not on an AppleTalk internetwork to
start with. Then when it finally gets a response, it displays the message
about the AppleTalk connection becoming available.

I think we would need more info on your topology to troubleshoot this.
Where is the router? Is it far away, across many switches?

There used to be an article on this topic at Apple's site, but I can't find
it anymore. But maybe you can search for help there. Good luck!

Priscilla