Thank you to everyone who took the time to make suggestions.  I seem
to have fixed the problem, but I can't pinpoint exactly which command
or configuration change worked the magic.

As you suggested, I made sure that portfast was on, port channel was
off, and that the ports were not set to trunk and the problem still
persisted.  The next step I took was to make sure the ports broadcast
limit was at 100%(set port broadcast <mod_num/port_num>
<threshold>[%]).  By default this should have, and apparently was,
already set to 100%.  But after I manually typed in the command the
problem went away.  And the real mindtwister is that the problem went
away on ALL of the affected Macs in that VLAN(including on an
upstream switch), not only the Mac on the interface I had specified.
I'm guessing that something must have propagated all the way to the
RSM.

When the Macs boot up now they still get a window that says "Your
AppleTalk network has become available".  But it's just an FYI
message.  It doesn't require you to go into the AppleTalk control
panel.

Thank you for taking the time to write back,

Dave