Good Afternoon All,

I am currently trying to resolve an issue where we are having trouble sending data across a tunnel running GRE encryption.  With this encryption employed the MTU size allowed is decreased to 1476.  When we attempt to send traffic (email, ftp, etc...) through the tunnel, we are finding that it does not work.

My sniffer trace is showing that the frames being sent are setting the DF bit, which I would expect.  I would then expect that if the router is unable to send the packet, it would drop it and return an ICMP message back to the source telling it to decrease the packet size and try it again.  I am not seeing any of these messages.

We are running HSRP on the ethernet interfaces that connect to my LAN.  I believe we are running a 12.0 IOS release, although I am not sure of the actual version.

Does anyone have any ideas why this might be happening?  I am trying to resolve this issue while having no CLI access to the routers.  I have been informed by the controlling body that there are no access lists prohibiting ICMP messages from being sent, and there are no firewall rules in place that would be dropping the ICMP messages.

Any and all explanations of possible causes/resolutions would be appreciated.

Steve D.