At 12:37 PM 10/29/00, Brian wrote:
>On Sun, 29 Oct 2000, Chuck Larrieu wrote:
>
> > Speaking of evil test creators, the one I've always wondered about is
> actual
> > T1/DS1 throughput. I believe serial lines are full duplex. So NOW what is
> > the REAL bit rate?  ;->
>
>1.536Mbps is the actual usable bit rate of a clear channel t1.  8 bits is
>used for framing.  Yes that is in each direction.  But if a circuit has
>1Mbps incoming and 1Mbps outgoing, you still usually just call it a 1Mbps
>fdx, instead of 2Mbps........at least I do.  I know some peole refer to
>100bT fdx as 200Mbps........but I think its more accurate to say 100Mb/s
>fdx.
>
>Brian

Brian, I completely agree.  If you're at Server A and need to get to Server B
through a T1 wan link as seen below:

Server A---> Router A---->T1---->Router B---->Server B

your data can still only be sent at 1MB/sec.  For those that would call it a
2MB/sec connection....What would you call the speed limit on a major
highway, is it
65mph or 130 mph?  Traffic does flow at 65mph in each direction.... ;-)

Chuck's question prompts an even bigger question...What is real? LOL

AQ