Chuck,

I must say that you're one of the most helpful contributors to the
groupstudy list.  You have shown time and again that you're willing to help,
and your technical insights are usually first-class.  Even when questions in
this mailing list are open-ended and are not Cisco-specific, you still offer
help or advise in the right direction.  I wish you well on your CCIE lab!

And Thanh, judging by your email address, I guess you're in Vietnam.  I have
absolutely no idea about the telco infrastructure that's available to you,
but I guess you may consider three options to connect the 7 branch LANs to
the HQ:

(1) POTS: If your IT budget is limited, you might consider the good old
analog phone network as your WAN option.  You can choose routers like Cisco
2509 at the HQ to serve as access server, and 1601-R (and connect to analog
modems) at branch offices to dial-up to the HQ.  However, the bandwidth will
be quite limited, and you might have problem with protocols that are
time-sensitive, unless you have all sites semi-permanently connected (as
analog call setup times exceed 30 seconds on avg).

(2) ISDN: You get more bandwidth (either 64kb or 128kb) and much faster call
setup with ISDN.  Get telcos to install PRI at the HQ and BRI at branch
offices.  HQ can use a router like the 3620 with T1/E1 interface, and the
branch offices can use 1603-R for ISDN-BRI dial-up.

(3) Frame-relay: Your scenario will be a classic hub-and-spoke topology for
a frame-relay WAN setup.  Routers like 2620 or 3620 should be grunty enough
at the HQ, and branch offices can use 1601R for serial connectivity to
CSU/DSU.  You can specify how much bandwidth you like on a link by link
basis.  Just make sure that you have enough bandwidth specified on your HQ
link (HQ CIR = sum of 7 branch link CIRs)

I guess it pretty much comes down to how much the carriers charge in Vietnam
for different WAN solutions, and how much your IT budget is for the
provision and the rental of the WAN links.

HTHAL

M.A.