For fifteen grand you could bye some gear, and books, and labs and do it
your self. Probaly the average cost is 20,000 dollars for each ccie
candidate, whether you pay out of pocket or employer pays.
The only ccie training I would pay for is from one of the big three, but
probaly just mentor labs (old ccci) would get my money.
That would be to get into a boot camp environment (among peers) to have very
technical questions answered, not for initial training. An example would be
maybe to get some direction on ATM if I didn't have a lot of experience.
Those type of classes (300 hours over 8 months)are designed to make the
customer happy not facilitate ccie development. Your classmates will dictate
the pace, if you get somebody or two or three  in the class who aint got a
clue they could drag the whole experience down. If it is a ccie class there
should not be a ccna portion. See what I mean, someone who struggles over
the ccna portion will drag the whole class down when they get to the OSPF
over the point-to-multipoint frame-relay section of the class.
This is how I am going to get my CCIE 8(steps)
1. Got my employeer to buy equipment.
2. Got my CCNP and CCDP by study, hands-on and On-the-Job.
3. Bought tons of books and labs. (own expence).
4. Downloaded and printed almost the whole Cisco site.
5. Work hand and hand with the SEs assigned by Cisco to our organization.
6. There is another division inside my organization who are also assembling
a lab and we will work together through sharing the equipment and forming a
CCIE study group.
7. Most important got the support of my spouse. This is because you need
support for this undertaking. We all face the fact that people don't
understand what we do and when asked what I do I just say I work with
computers and they respond Oh your write programs I just smile. Okay I'm
back. I spend two hours a day working toward this goal so If they don't
understand what you are doing they are not going to understand the
enorminity of the undertaking, hence when they see you staring at a console
prompt they are going to ask you to take out the trash, and you are waiting
for that next debug update. Not cool!! Bottom line you have to dedicate time
to do this on a consistent basis.
8. If you are single disregard step 7. Let me condense it for ya. I work on
computers.
Good Luck. And to quote Ozzy "see ya on the other side"
Duck