Hi all,

I am interested in starting a study group at my company, and am interested
in how other existing study groups are formatted.  For instance, I know that
some groups read a chapter from a book, then meet to discuss that particular
chapter and ask each other questions.

An idea that I had was to come up with topics that were of interest to the
group, have a person volunteer to take a topic and become an expert on that
particular subject.  In the beginning there could be a large list of topics,
people would volunteer, and meetings would be scheduled to discuss a
particular topic on a particular night.  Topics could be added as necessary.
The subject expert would lecture (informally speaking) and during the
explanation of the subject questions could be asked by the group members.
If there were questions that could not be answered, the lecturer would write
them down and get back to the group at the next meeting.

My rationale is that you must really learn a subject if you have to explain
it clearly to others.  The person doing the explaining will have to really
understand what he is talking about, as well as be able to explain it to
others.  Sharing this load among the members of the group should help
everyone and, assuming everyone that lectures is clear and thorough, will
minimize the amount of time for the group as a whole to gain proficiency in
topics.

Are there any other groups doing this?  Are there other formats that
existing groups are using with success?  I welcome feedback on the format,
as well as any other suggestions to make efficient use of time.

Thanks,
Dave