hello,

Cisco switch 2948-L3 are IOS and each VLAN must be considere as Virtual Bridge.

For VLAN 1, each port must have command "bridge-group 1"
and you do create a BVI with number 1.
The ip address for this VLNA will be in the BVI interface.

Is it a configuration BRIDGE  IRB.

Your config will be as :
!
hostname R1
!
bridge irb
!
interface bvi 1
 ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0
!
interface bvi 2
 ip address 172.16.1.1 255.255.255.0
!
interface ethernet 0/1
 bridge-group 1
!
interface ethernet 0/2
 bridge-group 1
!
interface ethernet 0/3
 bridge-group 1
!
interface ethernet 0/4
 bridge-group 2
!
interface ethernet 0/4
 bridge-group 2
!
interface ethernet 0/5
 bridge-group 2
!
.../..
!
interface ethernet 0/48
 ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
!
bridge 1 protocol ieee
 bridge 1 bridge ip                                # default
 no bridge 1 route ip
bridge 3 protocol ieee
 bridge 1 bridge ip                                # default
 no bridge 1 route ip
!
router rip
 network 10.0.0.0
 network 172.16.0.0
 network 192.168.1.0
 no auto-summary
.../...

You must do command in oder, or reboot is a good idea fur running IRB.

==> Is a CCIE Lab sujet.

Best Regard

THIERRY

>>> Manoj Ghorpade <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 03/11/00 02h01 >>>
Hi Group,
I have a Cisco 2948G-L3 switch and want to setup the management on the
switch.I tried doing things the documentation said but it won't work.
The documentation says anyone of the ports (1-48 Fastetherenet) can be
used for management or the 2 Gigabit ports 49-50 can be used for
management.

I have a VLAN of first 6 ports in Bridge 1(1-6)( which i don't want to
touch) and rest all the ports in Bridge 2 (7-48).
I assigned an IP address to port 48  and tried a ping but got no reply.

Can anyone help me on this

Best Regards

Manoj Ghorpade