I'm a bit confused, perhaps I haven't played with this enough but I think
you're getting too complicated.  The 2948G-L3 switch uses the same IOS as
the Cat 5000 family.

Also, I'm not sure if you can set any port to be admin or rather you can
telnet into any port and admin the switch, a subtle but large difference.

In the Cat 5000, by default, the admin VLAN is VLAN 1.

It was mentioned that port 48 is in another VLAN (VLAN2 ?).  Without
inter-VLAN routing, if the device you're pinging from is connected to
VLAN1 - it won't get to VLAN2, which wouldn't matter anyways because if you
could ping port 48 you would still have to associate VLAN2 as being the
admin vlan.  You do this by configuring the sc0 interface.

You must set an ip address on sc0 and then you still must be plugged into a
port assigned to VLAN1.

Otherwise, you can change the default admin VLAN with:

set interface sc0 [vlan] [ip_addr [netmask [broadcast]]]

Therefore you can assign sc0 an address and put it into any vlan you wish.
Then you could telnet to it from any port assigned to that vlan. (unless
routing gets you there to)

Not sure this helps, I don't have a 2948G-L3 to play with but if it has the
same IOS as the Cat 5000 this should apply.

Kevin Wigle
CCDP/CCNP............