Kevin,

Please visit these two URLs to have a better understanding on how to configure redundancy for Layer 2 (High Availability Feature) and Layer 3 (HSRP) on a CAT 6xxx switch...

Configuring Redundancy (with config examples)
This chapter describes how to configure redundancy on the Catalyst 6000 family Multilayer Switch Feature Card (MSFC) using the Hot Standby Routing Protocol (HSRP).

Configuring Redundant Supervisor Engines (with config examples)
This chapter describes how to use and configure redundant supervisor engines on the Catalyst 6000 family switches.

I hope this helps.

cheers,
Nick Mackovski

Kevin Welch wrote:

Ok, this is a follow up to my e-mail last night, as it would seem, the
problem was not with my route configuration, but rather with the MSFC
detcing a link failure.  So here goes the next round of questions.

I have two 6509's configured for redundant connectivity.  I am trying to get
the MSFC to detect a link failure at Layer2 so that the routing table will
be updated and packets can traverse the alternate path.  The problem seems
to be that when all ports fail in a VLAN that the VLAN is still considered
up.

Is there any way to get the MSFC to view a port on the catalyst as a single
interface and detect a failure on that link?  If not, how can I have layer 3
redundancy in the event of a link/module failure?

Any help appreciated

-- Kevin