Flapping just means going up and down. It's not really a technical term.
It's used mostly when referring to routes that appear and disappear. This
might happen because of an interface that is having problems or a link that
is experiencing lots of data-link or physical errors.

Dampening is a mechanism for controlling the spread of problems caused by a
route going up and down (flapping). When a route is flapping, dampening
will contain the problem so that bandwidth and CPU utilization won't be
used up on lots of routers.

The exact behavior of dampening depends on the routing protocol. For
example, to read about BGP's support for dampening, see Halabi's "Internet
Routing Architectures" book.

Priscilla