I'm not sure if there are regional variations.  I haven't seen much outside of the
world of cisco that uses the term dampening.  I looked at Ripe, arin, merit etc.  All
use damping.  I'm still sure this is Cisco's tremendous ability to drive de facto
standards and terminology.

For the record, my oxford has the same definitions.  I think those dictionary people
plagiarize anyway.

Pete