sorry to reply to my own post but I got results and I wanted to shared where
I got confused.

Essentially, I was understanding that if a route was installed into the
local ip routing table, that is should be eligible to be advertised by BGP.

This is demonstrated in the Hutnick/Saterlee book by the use of static
routes, especially to install a summary route.

However, all my routes were "directly connected".  Is there a difference?
They were still in the routing table.

Reading further, I discovered the "no synchronization" command.  From the
book:

"no synchronization:  This router configuration command disables the
synchronization between BGP and IGP. A BGP speaker will not advertise a
route to an external neighbor unless the route is local or exists in the IGP
routing table.  The no synchronization command enables the router to
advertise a network route without first having that route present in the IGP
routing table".

page 520

What I see perhaps is that all routers in my scenario are internal neighbors
as opposed to an external neighbor.

Also, is a directly connected route "local"?

So I'm confused as the book says two things, be in the local routing table
or IGP routing table.

None of the routes were advertised via IGP but again........ they were
"local".

And does the rule also pertain to "internal" neighbors?

It works now - but I'm not sure I got the "rules" straight yet.

Kevin Wigle