Howard, Chuck et al,

Even more strange is if you configure the loopback interface
as a point-to-point network -

e.g.

int lo0
 ip address 172.16.1.1 255.255.255.0
 ip osdpf network-type point-to-point

router ospf 10
 network 172.16.1.1 0.0.0.0 area 0

In this configuration, the OSPF process won't use this loopback
address as the router id.

(See Advanced IP Network Design - ISBN 1-57870-097-3, Retana,
SLice and White - Cisco Press p108 for more info)

Hope this adds some to the party - I'll have a go at Howard's
challenge later when I can get onto my lab, but I suspect the
output from "debug ip ospf adjency" might help here. I have included
Howard's OSPF router ID selection table as a pointer to why I
think this will help.

Regards

Pete S.

>>SNIPed some stuff, this is HCB's bit>>
>Unless there have been recent IOS changes (I'm really most >current
in
>11-something), it's even more unpredictable than just the >highest
IP
>address:

>At the time of OSPF initialization, the router ID is:
>
>    if there are multiple loopback interfaces, the highest >IP
address on any
>       loopback (i.e., not highest loopback interface >number)
>    if there is a single loopback interface, use its >address
>    if there are no loopback interfaces, use the highest >IP
address on any
>       active interface (i.e., if all interfaces are in >shutdown,
OSPF

-----