Folks,

I have a Cat6509 here that I'm trying to configure to do 802.1q VLAN
trunking between itself and an HP ProCurve 4000M switch.

I've run into a problem, though.  I have 8 vlans configured on both
switches, 802.1q ID 1-8.  The vlan *names* on either end match except for
the first vlan.  On the HP, it's 'vlan1'.  On the Cat, it's 'default'
because it cannot be changed, which is annoying.  The vlan IDs match
throughout.

I can ping devices on any of the vlans except for vlan 1, from the Cat.  I
cannot get any connectivity from the Cat to the HP on vlan1.  If I disable
tagged vlans on the HP, I can get ping to vlan1, even while 802.1q is
enabled on the Cat.

Just for fun, I changed the name of vlan1 on the HP to 'default' and it
had no effect, so it doesn't seem to be some weirdness with plain english
identifiers.

Now for the really weird part.  If I configure the trunk on the HP to be
untagged on vlan1 and tagged on all other vlans, I seem to get
connectivity to all vlans from the Cat.

Is there something inherently funky about vlan 1 on the cisco stuff?  It's
really odd that all the other vlans work if configured to be tagged at
both ends, and the config for all 8 vlans is the same at both ends.

This is driving me crazy.

Ben

--
Ben Hockenhull