They are on the CCIE R/S Equipment list and fair game.

The 4000 series routers are still being used today and
are solid performers even if they are old. 12.x IOS is
available for them if you have proper amount of DRAM
and Flash to support 12.x, Enterprise feature sets,
etc.

All the newer hardware isn't available for them
(voice, etc) but for routing, connectivity, etc they
are fine.

I pick up the older cheaper gear for basic/standard
routing stuff & connectivity. Have picked up Bay
Routers which are cheaper as well. I only have one
Cisco in my lab now but I plan on putting $$ down on a
newer-model Cisco router which supports voice soon.