The potential problem is spanning tree will shut down the link for the first
thirty seconds (default) before passing traffic. If your computer is far
enough along in the boot proccess and makes a dhcp request before the switch
activates the port, the dhcp request will fail. Use portfast to prevent this
problem. Portfast is fine so long as you are sure no switch will be
connected to that port. This problem can be seen more frequently with PCMCIA
NICS. The computer may not assert the link on the card until late in the
boot process and then almost immediatly issue the DHCP request.
91dluo$tgr$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:91dluo$tgr$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...