Hi,

This is one that comes up in almost every network that I have been trouble shooting
lately.

In the Cisco environment set you spanning-tree portfast option on ports that have a
true one to one relationship that is, servers, clients, printers and the like.

Do NOT use portfast option on hubs, switches and routers.  There is nothing worse than
spending time tracking down a segmentation type fault only to find some clown has
decided to put both ends of a cable into sockets to tidy up or cover some occupational
safety thingy.

Some other brands of switches allow you to turn spanning tree off on a port by port
basis.  The same rules as above apply.

Another one that becomes critical particularly with older Catalyst 5000 type systems
is make sure you are using the same vervion of the spanning tree algorithm.  A buggy
or incompatable spanning tree can start to sing.  This is great for bringing down a
network and can take some time to find.

Also ensure port speeds and duplex setting are correct.  I avoid Auto settings
whenever possible.  They often fail and different companies do not always agree on how
they discover the remote end.  Some companies allowed preferred methods and they don't
always agree with other companies preferred.

Take this for what it is.  I make a nice living walking around talking about this
stuff.

Teunis,
Hobart, Tasmania
Australia