Hi all,

Believe me when I say wire does not move.  The wire rate is ZERO.  It usually sits in
a wall.

The clock speed in a synch type circuit dictates the rate at which bits change the
state of a wire.

Electricity in pure theory does not travel along the wire nor does light in the purest
sense.  I know it does but for the poing of excerise when we lift the signal on a wire
from 0volts to 5volts we do so at both ends.  In reality about 70-90% of the speed of
light.

The capabilty of the wire is restricted to the cable design, the noise the signal
strength etc.

The clock rate sets up a timing thingy that tells the remote end when to measure a
pulse on the line.  It is therefore imperitive that only one end drives this timing.
All communications devices use some method.

If you look at the BCRAN Book (Cisco Press) Catherine Paquet.  She shows a pretty good
example of how the clocking is done in an ISDN service. (I think but my memory is
slipping)

The clockrate is quite simply a timing device set by a master to tell the slave when
to measure the signal on the wire.

Teunis,
Hobart, Tasmania
Australia