Flem, thanks for the confirmation.
Chuck, given the age of the RFC, I seriously doubt that Nagle intended the
router to do anything too complicated.  My reading of RFC 896 implied that
the algorithm would be implemented in the end station - "Implementation
typically requires one or two lines inside a TCP program".  However, "The
past is a different country" (probably misquoted) and for some of these
older RFCs I think I could use an interpreter :-)
RFC 2001 (and 2581, which obseletes it) doesn't mention Nagle - it's
talking about different algorithms.
The Cisco command reference I suspect was written by somebody who didn't
delve too deeply into what the command does.  I guess I would have expected
some note pointing out that it only applies to sessions terminating at the
router, if that is the case, as most IOS commands affect through traffic
(OK, most commands don't deal with the transport layer...)
And how many people use XWindows to connect to a router?

JMcL

"Chuck Larrieu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>@groupstudy.com on 15/12/2000 05:29:54
pm

Please respond to "Chuck Larrieu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent by:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]