I don't know. This looks like another one of those things where we'd have to
find the people at Cisco who actually introduced this service to the IOS to
explain why it is there and what function it performs.  The 12.1 command
reference most certainly indicates that the router is acting on behalf of
end stations. The fact that it is stated that one should now enable the
algorithm if XRemote and XWindows is in operation on the network indicates
to me, at least, that pass through traffic effected.

-------------
When using a standard TCP implementation to send keystrokes between
machines, TCP tends to send one packet for each keystroke typed, which can
use up bandwidth and contribute to congestion on larger networks.

John Nagle's algorithm (RFC 896) helps alleviate the small-packet problem in
TCP. The first character typed after connection establishment is sent in a
single packet, but TCP holds any additional characters typed until the
receiver acknowledges the previous packet. Then the second, larger packet is
sent, and additional typed characters are saved until the acknowledgment
comes back. The effect is to accumulate characters into larger chunks, and
pace them out to the network at a rate matching the round-trip time of the
given connection. This method is usually good for all TCP-based traffic.
However, do not enable the Nagle slow packet avoidance algorithm if you have
XRemote users on X Window sessions.

Does one use X-windows sessions to connect to the router?  Sorry, my Unix is
poor. If I am an X user, and I open a telnet session to the router from my X
desktop, is this what we are talking about?

Chuck